What’s affecting me, my clients and other small-business owners today.
• Food prices are up 19 percent in 2014.
• A survey finds many small companies expect the economy to improve along with the weather.
• Manufacturing orders soared in February.
• Here is how West Elm solved its biggest problem by collaborating with Etsy.
• Up for debate: What can bookstores do to survive?
• The 25 most annoying things that bosses do.
• Pope Francis fires a high-spending bishop.
• Connecticut’s Senate approved a bill to raise the state’s minimum wage to $10.10.
• A mandatory three-day paid sick leave bill progresses through the California legislature but doubts remain over the costs to small businesses.
• In a ruling that could revolutionize college sports, a federal agency said that football players at Northwestern University can create the nation’s first union of college athletes.
• A majority of older workers in the United States have told pollsters that they want to keep working because it keeps them mentally and physically fit.
• Here is how to find the right accountant for your business.
• Why the crowdfunders who backed Facebook’s latest billion-dollar acquisition aren’t happy.
• A year after introducing its marketplace pairing M.B.A. students with small businesses seeking project work, Boston-based HourlyNerd Inc. has raised around $4 million in venture backing.
• ABC’s “Shark Tank” will be holding open casting calls during the Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference + Expo in Columbus, Ohio.
• Citi and four other banks stumble in Fed stress tests.
• Initial public offering shares of the maker of the Candy Crush mobile app fell more than 15 percent in their first day of trading.
• An interviewer goes inside the mind of Yahoo’s teen sensation, Nick D’Aloisio.
• Funny billboards are turning heads and gaining attention for a septic company.
• No joke: plumbers are doing well.
• This is how to negotiate your office lease.
• If you use this start-up, you may never ship a package again.
• The rise of mobile bandwidth and local search optimization are reasons to invest in search engine optimization.
• Pennsylvania is celebrating “Get Your Business Online” week.
• This infographic explains how Google determines where to rank your website.
• An entrepreneur is making money toilet-training cats.
• The National Transportation Safety Board wants pilots to try to land at the right airport.
Around the Country
• A business owner says bridge tolls will devastate Indiana businesses.
• Business owners near the site of Harlem’s building explosion told city officials that they need an immediate infusion of cash.
• An Illinois business owner loses a battle in a longtime parking war with nearby residents.
• In response to Google, Amazon announces huge price cuts for its cloud-based services.
• Some Subway restaurants are testing mobile ordering and payments.